Friday, February 7, 2014

Yarn GET: Webs Online Purchase

It's here! My new yarn is here!

What's that? I don't need any more yarn? NOT LISTENING!!!



From top to bottom: 

Cascade Yarns Jewel Hand-dyed Peruvian Highland Wool in greys and teals
Bulky weight



Classic Elite Yarns Seedling 100% Organic Cotton in Persimmon
Worsted weight

Classic Elite Yarns Seedling 100% Organic Cotton in Mint
Worsted weight


I really like how the Seedling yarn is spun. I like the "bumpiness" of the yarn. I'm a texture person. :)

I've worked with the Classic Elite Yarns Sprout organic cotton before (see the baby cocoon I made with it here), and I'm excited to work with this lighter weight yarn. (Sprout is a heavy worsted yarn, and you could probably get away with calling it bulky.)

I haven't done much online yarn shopping. I like to actually feel the yarn and see the colors in person before I buy it. The Seedling cotton yarns were both discontinued colors at a little under half price, so I pounced on that. The mint colorway is one of my favorites (it's what I used in the cocoon), and of course it's been discontinued. I bought the last three skeins Webs had, which will be enough to make a hat, some booties, and some mittens (at least). 

I really like the coral-y color of the Persimmon colorway, too. It is just as pretty as the pictures, which is a relief. 

The Cascade Yarns Jewel multi yarn is pretty, but it's a bit darker than the pictures (the picture at the top of the post is closest to the true colors). Jewel yarn is bulky weight, but it's a pretty thin bulky weight. I think you could get away with calling it heavy worsted. 



Webs (yarn.com) has some pretty awesome sales and daily deals. I follow them on Twitter, and they announce different yarn specials each day- you just have to enter a code at checkout. They processed my order quickly, but they use USPS for shipping. (Ugh!) I wasn't in a hurry or in desperate need, but I was impatiently waiting for my yarn. (I needed to rub my face on that organic cotton, haha!) It came a day later than promised (2-day shipping? Ha!), and USPS didn't update any tracking info. Overall, buying from Webs was a great experience because I got some nice deals on some of my favorite yarns. 
I'm already eyeing my next yarn purchase from them since my local yarn store doesn't carry the yarn I want to try. But that's for another time after I finish using this yarn!


I haven't made adult-sized socks or slippers before, and I'm trying to find the perfect pattern to use for my Jewel yarn. 

I'm debating between this Drops Design slipper pattern and this Knit Freedom bulky sock pattern. The second pattern is knit with a super bulky weight yarn, and I could probably get away with using a normal bulky yarn, but since the Jewel is such a light-weight bulky yarn, I'm not so sure it would be worth it. 

I have a bulky orange mystery wool that I could use to make the second pattern, but it's all one color, and even though it's a fun shade of orange, plain socks are boring!

I'll have to ask Chris what he thinks when he gets home from work. I'll update with pictures of my FO (finished object[s]) as soon as they are off the needles, of course! 

No comments:

Post a Comment