Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Gluten-Free Double Chocolate Brownies

Saturday night was Game Night, and we finished up dinner with some Double Chocolate Brownie sundaes. And you know what? They were gluten-free!

I have a lot of food issues that I don't really go into detail about a lot, but I basically follow the FODMAP diet since it reflects most of my food allergies and sensitivities.

pre-sundae gooeyness

These brownies can be gluten-free, FODMAP-friendly, or regular ol' brownies! Y'all have my Grandma Darlene to thank for this recipe. She sent it to me in college, and it got me through many a Finals Week. (Notice "me" and not "us." Chris didn't get any because I do not like to share my chocolate.)

I think these brownies are the perfect mixture between fudgy and cakey.

They make perfect brownie sundaes!


Topped off with fudge, caramel, and homemade whipped cream!

Please see the notes about flour below the recipe if you want to make this gluten-free.


Double Chocolate Brownies
from Grandma Darlene

Ingredients:
3/4 cup baking cocoa (I recommend dark chocolate!)
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
2/3 cup butter, melted, divided
1/2 cup boiling water
2 cups sugar
2 eggs
1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour or gluten-free flour of your choice*
1 teaspoon vanilla extract (I always end up adding extra)
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup coarsely chopped pecans or walnuts
2 cups (12 oz) semisweet chocolate chips or chunks


Method: 
Preheat oven to 350F and grease a 9x13" baking pan.

In a large bowl, combine cocoa and baking soda; blend in 1/3 cup melted butter.
Add the boiling water and stir until well-blended.
Stir in the sugar and remaining 1/3 cup butter; stir in eggs.
Add the flour of your choice, vanilla, and salt.
Stir in the pecans and chocolate chips/chunks.

Bake at 350F for 35-40 minutes or until brownies begin to pull away from the sides of the pan. Cool before serving.

My grandma's recipe claims this makes a few dozen brownies, but I always end up cutting them into only 12 pieces so I have a nice big brownie to anchor a brownie sundae.

Notes:
*All purpose flour is what this recipe originally calls for. Add 1 1/3 teaspoons of Xantham Gum if you choose to use a gluten-free flour.

I used Red Mill Gluten-Free All Purpose Baking Flour for the last batch of brownies. It is not FODMAP-friendly since it has bean flours in it. This flour does, however, behave the closest to all-purpose white flour out of all of the gluten-free flours I have tried.

If you use only rice flour, I recommend using brown rice flour. You may need to add up to 1/4 cup more rice flour to get the correct consistency. These brownies should be fairly dense.


No comments:

Post a Comment