Tuesday, February 25, 2014

WIP: Seabrook Vest

Sometimes I start projects, reach the halfway point, and set them down, leaving them wallowing in the sadness of their unfinished and forgotten state... 

I'm kidding about the forgotten part. I do intend to finish those drop stitch scarves eventually, but they're so boring

But here's one I'm really finishing!

I started working on a Seabrook Vest by Berocco for my mom last November. It was a last-minute change from her original intended present (a hat), and I didn't leave myself enough time to finish it. She ended up with the hat, which matches the previous year's cowl, for a Christmas present after all. 

After a couple months of sitting and waiting while I started and finished other projects, I'm finally working on Mom's vest again. I'm hoping to have it finished by Mother's Day. 

My parents visited a couple weeks ago, and I decided to have my mom try on the half of the vest I have completed so far, and she loved it! She liked the yarn and the color, so I'm already calling it a win!

I'm using Berroco's Lustra yarn. It's a 50/50 wool/Tencel blend with a lovely sheen. The yarn is a very soft single-ply with a bit of a halo. 




The vest is all-over seed stitch (I've also seen it called moss stitch). The seed stitch makes one of my favorite fabrics. I enjoy the alternating bumps, and at Seabrook's gauge, the stitches almost look like little stars to me from a distance. 



I'm about halfway through with the vest, and I try to complete at least four rows a day, which is about an inch. Considering I need 56 inches total, I have a ways to go, but if I continue at this pace, I should have the vest finished in a week or so. 

I saw the finished object at my local yarn store and decided it would be a great first garment project. It's basically a rectangle with arm holes. (The pattern is free, too, so if you want to take a stab at it, click the link at the top of the post.)

My selvedge edges look pretty good, but if I have enough yarn left, I'm going to crochet around the edges and arm holes to make them look a bit cleaner. 

Here's to an easy (but not quick in this case) knit!

No comments:

Post a Comment