Saturday, April 20, 2013

Toffee Try

I guess it was making those Christmas present tags... somehow I got in the mood for toffee! I've never actually made toffee before, so I searched around Pinterest and found this recipe. It seemed pretty simple, and I don't think I messed it up too much.

Chris's grandparents gave us some pecans a while back, so I pulled them out of the freezer and chopped them up.  Of course, I had to top it off with some chocolate chips. I don't know if I had enough to really cover the top since I made chex mix a while back (I'll post that recipe the next time I make it, which might not be soon because it's addictive and I like the fact that my clothes have been loose lately thanks to running, which I am probably partially undoing by making toffee. Well...). And, well, you know, chocolate. Of course the chef has to have a teensy-weensy taste here and there. Or a handful.

My caramel part turned a bit runny after I added the vanilla, but it still looks like caramel to me. If I messed it up, at least the house smells amazing!

Waiting for the chocolate chips to melt
 photo 4E68D842-FDA1-4986-8D32-63530A633170-4577-0000039F8578F615_zpsf3c5e8ba.jpg

Some of the butter separated from the caramel, and it looks a bit icky, but it tastes great! 

I used way too many nuts, though.  But they're pecans. I couldn't help it. 

Next I think I'm going to look for a recipe that you can make in the microwave. Summer's coming up, and I don't really want to spend 10-15 minutes in front of a gas stove stirring bubbling sugar, even if it is toffee goodness. 

I forgot to take a picture of the finished toffee. Whoops! I'm sending some to work with Chris. The rest got eaten pretty quickly. 

Yum.

Edit:
Looking back, I think I might have over-cooked the caramel. Toffee probably isn't exactly FODMAP-friendly, and I think (ch)eating a little bit upset my tummy. Chris says it tastes good, though, so at least I know someone will finish it off! 

No comments:

Post a Comment