Sunday, June 2, 2013

Oops. BIG oops.

Well, I am finally on the third color in my baby blanket! And what a discovery I have made...

 photo FEF1CA06-803B-4DCD-9A86-4F98AF4B3FCC-5113-00000478D03381D1_zps60ed30e6.jpg
Right around the point of discovery...

I bought yarn for this blanket last fall and cast on last December. Then I put it down for Christmas knitting and picked it back up in April.

Somewhere in there I confused a few things.

The original pattern called for seven colors of yarn. I decided on five. I thought I checked the pattern for the total grams of yarn needed, but apparently I forgot somewhere between then and now that I wasn't going to use all of each color.

I just now figured out that I will probably be finished with the blanket on the third color. Not the fifth.

This blanket is my TV knitting, so I tend to space out and not think about it. Ever, apparently.

This is what I get for not double-checking!

You see, those seven balls of yarn were 50g each. My five colors? 100g each.

The pattern calls for the blanket to be around 27" x 35".

My blanket is already ~22" long.

Each stripe is ~10.5" of that amazing fan lace...

I am kicking myself right now! There is NO WAY I am ripping back to adjust the big stripes so I can add in the other colors, and a blanket that is ~27" x ~52" seems crazy to me right now.

The five-color plan was going to make the blanket gender neutral. Pink-Green-Brown-Yellow/Orange-Blue.

It looks like I will be finished at Pink-Green-Brown, which isn't awful, but isn't what I wanted. At. All.

Kick! Kick! Kick!

This is what happens when you buy yarn, forget about it, start a pattern, forget about it, and pick it up months later.

The good thing? No baby in sight to use said blanket. I am still going to have this finished in plenty of time to start a little hope chest for our kids.

I suppose I could always buy one more skein of yarn and make another blanket. It could be Brown/Yellow-Orange/Blue.

I just found another skein of cotton, in a more denim-ish blue.

 photo 135B842C-A424-405F-A478-6FEE4A14801F-5113-000004798E5A5DD9_zps86fda78e.jpg

I suppose I could have a Light Blue/Yellow-Orange/Denim Blue

Then I would have a blanket more "girly" in color and another blanket more "boyish" in color.

Or, I could just keep knitting and have one long and funky baby blanket.

Oops.

No comments:

Post a Comment