Sunday, January 19, 2014

2014 Update (cough*hack*wheeze)

The past few months have been a doozy! I enjoyed good health for most of last year. I didn't have to visit the doctor until October! After that, though, things quickly went downhill. I had an asthma attack during a training run for our second 5K race, and I wasn't able to complete training or run the race. I've been sick all of 2014 to date (with two trips to the ER, we've met our ridiculously high deductible, but I'm not happy about that), but I'm finally starting to come out of the sick haze and function on a somewhat normal level. 

Sickness hasn't kept me from knitting, and I've been working on quite a few new knitting designs.

While I want to focus on making baby knits since they are quick and easy (and oh so cute!), I started the year with two adult designs. I'm about 80% finished with the initial test garments, and I'll probably ask some friends to help out with test-knitting if they have the time. 

I'm working on a cabled necklet inspired by a gift my brother-in-law gave his girlfriend and a lacy spring beanie inspired by the African Kiwano Jelly Melon. I'm planning on incorporating beads in the Jelly Melon pattern, but I haven't been able to find beads that I like. 

I've been considering opening an Etsy store after I have 10-15 patterns, but I'm not comfortable with the made-to-order aspect that seems to be the norm. I'm not very familiar with the Etsy format, though, so I have a bit of research to do.

We have some photographers in our neighborhood who specialize in newborn photography, and I'm thinking about ways to partner with them for newborn photography shoots. Our neighborhood is full of young and growing families, so that could be a wonderful way to start small before any online moves like Etsy. 

I've had a lot of time to think being sick on the couch this year and not much time to be out actually doing anything. I'm looking forward to being able to get out and around and knit at our local yarn store with people instead of on the couch with Pete trying to sit on my yarn. 



No comments:

Post a Comment