Monday, August 12, 2013

Classroom Participation: Popsicle Sticks

I'm working on my 6-12 English Language Arts certification.

I've worried quite a bit about ensuring every student has a chance to participate. 

This idea comes from a combination of two pins: this date night idea pin and this metallic mason jar decor pin

Each popsicle stick will have two colors-one on each end. Let's say, yellow and green...

I'll write each student's name on a popsicle stick and fill a mason jar with the sticks. (It'll be a cute, metallic mason jar!) 

After I ask the class a question, I'll give them a few seconds to contemplate answers and then draw a stick. That student answers then answers the question. 

The stick goes back into the mason jar with the opposite color at the top. Now I can tell which students have answered a question without losing the popsicle sticks. 

I hope to give this a try when I begin teaching. I'm sure this will need some tweaks, and it won't be the only way I ask questions. I'm sure there will be days when students are eager to participate, but the popsicle stick method will ensure everyone participates, whether they like it or not!

No comments:

Post a Comment